UPDATE: This functionality is now live across all Ning Networks. Please read below for information on how to add the 'home' view to your app. For information on the Network Creator experience, please consult this post.
To kick things off, we'll soon be enabling the ability for Ning Apps to appear on the main page of a network. To take advantage of this new ability, you'll need to specify a 'home' view in your gadget's XML. For example:
<Content type="html" view="home">
<p>Hello, Home view!</p>
1) We're tentatively targeting the morning of June 14th (Pacific) to enable this feature.
2) This new view is optional to implement, but will definitely increase your app's visibility on Ning networks.
3) IMPORTANT ITEM #1:
If you were an early Ning Apps beta participant and your app's XML file contains a reference to the discontinued ning.main view, please be sure to remove the reference if you don't yet want your app to appear on the main page of Ning networks.
4) IMPORTANT ITEM #2:
Please note that any <Content> tags that do not specify a view will be displayed on the main page of the Ning Network. If this doesn't make sense for your app, please update your XML file so that it only uses the desired views. For a list of our 3 supported views, please see the attached XML example
5) The main page view will be displayed in the center column of the network.
6) The maximum width for the view is 492px. Anything smaller will be centered within the column. We currently don't have a limit on height, but will probably restrict this in the future to prevent abuse.
7) The owner of the main page view is the Network Creator.
TO DO BEFORE JUNE 14th:
If your app isn't affected by IMPORTANT ITEM #1 or IMPORTANT ITEM #2 above (most developers will not be affected), you're all set. You can implement the new main page view whenever you'd like (after June 14th).
If your app IS affected by IMPORTANT ITEM #1 or IMPORTANT ITEM #2 above, please take a quick moment to edit your XML file per the instructions above. This tweak should be completed by the morning of June 14th (Pacific).
TO DO AFTER JUNE 14th:
If you'd like to implement the new view once it's enabled in mid-June, you can add a test XML URL to a demo network by using the following "Add by URL" feature (replacing "TEST" with your network's subdomain):
If everything looks good, you can update your main XML file to enable the new view for your app in the directory.
Director of Partner Design & Development, Ning
You need to be a member of Ning Developer Docs to add comments!
Join Ning Developer Docs