This is the starting point for developing OpenSocial based applications for Ning Networks. This guide will get you up and running as quickly as possible.
What is OpenSocial?¶
From the OpenSocial specification:
OpenSocial on Ning¶
When OpenSocial applications are used as network-wide applications they are called Ning Apps. When an OpenSocial application is used only on profile pages, they are called Profile Apps. Ning Apps are added to a Ning Network by the Network Creator. Profile Apps are added by members to their profile pages.
What OpenSocial can do¶
- Add a new feature to a Ning Network
- Ning Apps can integrate with member profile pages in addition to standalone pages accessible from the main navigation
- Access information on a remote server from a Ning Network
- If you have content that is accessible via a REST API, you can securely access it from your application
- Get information about the viewer and their friends
- The OpenSocial API provides access to the viewer’s profile information and information about their friends
What OpenSocial can not do¶
- Retrieve member data from custom profile questions or features such as photos, videos, forums, etc.
- This type of information falls outside the scope of the OpenSocial specification. We are working on ways to extend the specification to provide access to all member content
- Integrate with existing features:
- There is currently no filter or plug-in system for Ning Apps that would allow you to extend or enhance the built in features